20 Bryony Close, Oakwood
Derby Derbyshire DE21 2DP UK
Laminate Flooring Derby Practical Advice
Laminate Flooring Derby
Laminate flooring, a synthetic flooring product in which multiple layers are fused together through the lamination process, simulates wood or stone. Melamine resin and fiber board are the main constituents of the inner core layer. The advantages of laminate flooring are that it is attractive, less expensive compared to natural flooring materials and more durable than carpet. As far as flooring trends are concerned, hard surfaces like hardwood floors, ceramic tiles and laminates are the preferred residential flooring options. In the case of carpets, the trend is to go for the carpets that sport softer, textured and luxurious looks.
The major advantages of laminate flooring can be summarized as follows:
- They imitate traditional wood. Laminate flooring looks like natural wood floor, though it is a layer of paper under a tough protective film that is glued and pressed to a high-density backing board.
- They are very easy to install and are durable. Many laminate flooring manufacturers offer warranty protection for a long period of time ranging from 10 to 25 years.
- Laminate flooring is resistant to stains and fading. It is easy to clean with just a vacuum or broom. A slightly damp mop can also be used. There is no need to wax the floor.
- Laminate flooring can be installed over floors like wood, tile, vinyl or linoleum. This is because most of them are floating type, meaning they do not fasten directly to the subfloor.
- Laminate flooring is highly economical, considering the costs of alternate flooring solutions. Solid hardwood floors will require 4-5 refinishings and carpets and vinyl flooring will need to be replaced depending on traffic loads.
- Laminates come in different styles and types.
- They provide a cleaner and healthier environment when compared to carpets that require regular cleaning cycles. Laminate floors accumulate less dust, pet hair, allergens, etc. People with allergy are often advised to remove carpets from the living space.
It is easy to install laminate floors, especially for a homeowner who wants to do it himself, as they come as tongue and groove planks such that they can just be clicked into one another. Generally, laminate floors are installed over the sub-floor and on top of a film of foam as underlayment to prevent moisture seepage and reduce sound. A gap of 1-10mm is left between the flooring and walls allowing for expansion.
Laminate flooring comes in many styles and types. The three basic types are:
- Hardwood laminates that resemble a range from standard pine wood to exotic Brazilian cherry.
- Stone laminates that give the look of slate, marble, etc.
- Tile laminates that sport different colours and textures of various tiles.
The laminate floor surface texture style can be embossed, smooth, wood-grain, distressed or patina. Distressed floor surface is made to resemble old, well-used floors. In order to create a patina appearance, a thin layer of paint is applied to an embossed laminate floor and then wiped off to leave the paint at desired points. A classification of laminate floors on the basis of laying them includes the glueless (tongue and groove type), those with underlayment attached, the glued and the pre-glued types.
Typically, floors set the tone of the room. Look and feel is important, but the ultimate decision of buying laminate flooring in Derby will be based on how a room is used. For example, a room in which there is heavy foot traffic requires a hard laminate that does not wear out easily, whereas a bedroom floor needs to be soft and cozy on the feet.
The floor laminates are given an AC rating based on the expected amount of traffic or use.
- Laminates with AC1 rating are meant for moderate residential use and are recommended for closets or bedrooms.
- Those with AC2 rating are recommended for general residential requirements like flooring in dining rooms or living rooms.
- Floor laminates with AC3 are meant for heavy residential or moderate commercial traffic situations. It can be used in the high–traffic rooms in a house and commercial spaces like small offices or hotel rooms.
- The laminates that are given AC4 rating can be used for general commercial requirements that include heavily trafficked commercial spaces like offices, cafes, and boutiques.
- The highest rating is AC5, representing suitability for heavy commercial applications. It is recommended only for commercial use in department stores and public buildings.
- Hardwood comes with many imperfect pieces that will have to be thrown out. Such a problem does not arise in the case of laminate floors.
It is very important to take proper care of laminate flooring. It has to be kept clean, as dust, dirt and sand particles may damage the surface over time in high-traffic areas. The laminate has to be maintained dry since water or moisture can make the planks swell, warp, etc. Any liquid spill has to be cleaned immediately. Adhesive felt pads must be fixed on the legs of furniture on laminate floors to prevent scratching. Poor quality laminate floors, especially the glueless type, show up gaps due to gradual separation. The planks have to be tapped back into place to prevent dirt from getting filled in the gaps. If dirt collects, it becomes difficult to close the planks.
The major brands that sell laminate flooring in Derby are QuickStep, Balterio, Egger and Sensa. QuickStep, the main brand, has an array of products including Eligna, Classic, Perspective, Vougue, Largo, and Quadra which we can supply. Each product comes in unique and varied finishes to choose from. The laminate boards made by them use precosumer recycled wood fibers and chips from sustainable sources. The patented locking system that they use eliminates the release of volatile oil content associated with use of adhesives. QuickStep floors comply with formaldehyde emissions requirements.
In conclusion, here are a few tips that may be kept in mind when it comes to laying laminate flooring:
- Stagger your laminate flooring planks.
- Opt for self-locking laminate floors.
- If you are laying laminate floor yourself, it is important to cut the planks right.
- Remember to leave gaps at opportune spaces.
Call for Laminate flooring in Derby
If your looking for laminate flooring Derby then just give me a call and I will take care of everything for you on 07976 285974
- Kevin, Thank you.
Who needs the big carpet chains when you know the ...
— Mrs Edmunson, Mickleover
- Fast, reliable and friendly.
Kevin was referred to me via a friend that said ...
— Mrs Rughton, Heatherton Village
- Kevin was excellent at his job
very pleased with the finished result,nice friendly man will definatley ...
— Mr Brown, Dalbury Leas
- Very professional service from start to finish.
Kevin made our experience of buying a carpets painless and ...
— Adrian , Chaddesden
- The highest of standards
Kevin has done a number of jobs for me in ...
— Rishi Mahadeo, Derby
- Kevin was very helpful sourcing the flooring
we required and got me the best deal. I would ...
— Mr Fairfield, Allestree
- Very helpful
pleasant to deal with and professional. I will use them ...
— Phil Calverley, Belper
- Thank you Kevin for a job well done.
I have been a long standing costumer and i am ...
— Miss Garner, Chaddesden
- We highly recommend Kacee Carpets
We highly recommend Kacee Carpets. Within 6 days of calling ...
— David Mead, Nottingham
- Excellent work!
Were able to chose our carpets and flooring in our ...
— Mrs Spacey, Chaddesden
- Glad we did
After trawling the shops for carpet for our Hallway,stairs, landing, ...
— Angie Kidd, Spondon
- A very professional job
carried out in a very professional, yet friendly, manner. We ...
— Mrs Bentley, Oakwood
- Great job as always
Fantastic service at the right price. Thanks again and see ...
— Brian, Beeston Notts